What Exactly Do Water Softeners Do?
Hard water is softened by removing the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium, in the water through a process called ion exchange. When hard water enters the water softening system's resin bed, ion exchange occurs. The hardness ions, calcium, magnesium, ferrous iron, and manganese are exchanged for sodium ions, making the water soft. Now, soft water can be available for use throughout your home including the shower and tub where calcium deposits and hard water stains tend to build up due to hard water.
Once the resin bed is full with hardness ions, regeneration or cleaning must occur. Salt is typically used in the regeneration process to clean the resin beads. After the cleaning takes place, the water softening process can continue.
Water Testing: Water naturally contains a variety of minerals including calcium and magnesium, but is considered hard when it has a level of over 1 grain per gallon. This can be evident by calcium deposits and hard water stains in your sink, bathtub or other areas where your water is dispensed.
While there is no requirement to soften your water, it is a personal choice, it can affect your home in a variety of ways. If your hardness is greater than 2 grains per gallon (34/mg/L), then you might consider a water softener to ensure your pipes and appliances work and function well and to improve the look, smell, and taste of your drinking water. This can be found by doing a Water Test.
Water Softener System
Non-electric twin tanks
Non-electric single tanks
Conventional electric economy
There Are Many Softening Systems. Why Kinetico?
There are reasons why Kinetico is the best choice for Water Softening Systems.
Kinetico has a wide variety of systems that offer anything needed. From Drinking Water to Whole Home Water Systems we have you covered!
Advantages Of Home Water Softening
Here is a little bit more detail on why Kinetico should be your top choice for water softeners:
- Non-electric. The Kinetico water conditioning systems require no electricity. The advantages of this are huge:
- No delicate and expensive printed circuit boards to degrade, short out, repair or replace. No electric solenoids to fail. Nothing to set or adjust. No timers.
- Not affected by power outages, which render electric units non-functional.
- Twin-tank system Conditioned water is available in the home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Even when one tank is being regenerated, the other tank is providing conditioned water to the home – without interruption! The Kinetico system is 100% “demand-operated”. This means the system works based on how much water is used, not according to some arbitrary time setting or fixed settings.
- Conditioned water used to regenerate The entire regeneration cycle is done using conditioned water from the tank that is in-service. It also regenerates using a “counter-current flow” giving better salt usage efficiency and longer media life. No more iron fouling or hardness build-up in beds or valves.
- All moving parts in the Kinetico are in contact with only treated water. This prevents fouling and scaling up of any of the critical control module components, passageways, valves, or moving parts.